Kaos and Cats – not a good combination

by nycgadgetgirl on March 12, 2007 · 6 comments

in Tales of Kaos

or feisty little Shiba Inus, either, for that matter.

Kaos isn’t settling is as well as we’d hoped she would at Ami’s and it is looking like she needs to (1) not live with cats and (2) possibly not live with other dogs. Although she seems to get along great with other dogs when she’s on leash, it hasn’t gone that well with her and Dakota at Ami’s house. (Dakota ended up in the ER with a seriously banged up eye this morning.)

Kaos spent the majority of her life tethered to Benedict. She never had to worry about pack order or protecting herself or other dogs feeling they needed to protect themselves, etc. Benedict, as her leader, took care of all that. Subsequently, she’s an angel with people and totally agreeable when she’s on leash. However, in an off leash (especially off leash in new territory) situation, she apparently feels insecure enough to fight if she feels she needs to. That could probably be managed/trained away over time, but besides worrying about the safety of Dakota (who is about 1/2 Kaos’s size), Ami also has two cats and two daughters to watch out for.

So, basically, Ami and Mike have agreed to keep her (and deal with all that entails… keeping the animals all separated, etc.) until we can find her a more appropriate home. I really appreciate that they are willing to do that; a lot of people would not be.

So, any takers, ideas or leads?

1 Janet March 13, 2007 at 10:06 am

dang, that’s too bad, I’m sorry to hear it.

2 rachel March 18, 2007 at 10:43 am

What if she was to have a leash on all the time… dragging it around? Will she be good with dogs if she’s wearing a leash? Maybe she just needs not to be loose yet. And a dog obedience course would be helpful to get her confidence… and have some tricks to get her attention when she progresses further… This advice not necessarily to Ami & family, but to whomever adopts her as well…

3 Leigh-Ann March 20, 2007 at 6:35 am

I’m so late getting into this discussion, but you have my sincere admiration for all the work you did finding a new home for Kaos. You did such an incredible job! I’ve been so overwhelmed with a new job that I wasn’t able to participate here during the planning and rescue of Kaos, but it’s been great reading older posts and watching the entire picture fall into place.

Regarding Kaos in her new home — do you have any updates? From the looks of the timeline, the aggression problems were occurring on the very first day, so it could have been that Kaos was overwhelmed, exhausted, and confused. It’s understandable that her adoptive family can’t risk waiting to see if an aggressive dog will settle down, yet I’m sure Kaos will settle down with time. How much remains to be seen, obviously. For the cats, could Ami put a couple of baby gates across the doors of rooms so the cats have an escape route and dog-free zone? And for Kaos, what about trying D.A.P. (the dog pheromone plug-in), and perhaps some calming herbal supplements?

I know what it’s like to have an aggressive dog… our Shih-tzu is blind in one eye because she had an altercation with our German shepherd about six years ago. Ever since, we’ve had to keep the two of them separated with baby gates. I’m very lucky that I don’t have children in the picture to complicate things, and send Ami my hopes that the situation will improve for the better.

4 Jeanette March 25, 2007 at 3:58 pm

I am so sorry to hear about Kaos not adapting to her new home. I have been away and finally got a chance to read some of the postings. I can’t understand it. She was so good here but we did keep her on a leash around other dogs but she played nice with them. I hope all is well since the last post?

5 Sara March 26, 2007 at 9:44 am

I have been obsessed with Kaos since first reading about her. I awarded you a “Thinking Blogger” award since all I do is think about Kaos after and also to hopefully draw a little more attention to her plight.

6 nycgadgetgirl March 26, 2007 at 11:33 am

Sara – I thought “ooh… that sounds cool! a Thinking Blogger award,” then I looked at your blog and realized you just created more work for me. THANKS SARA!!! 🙂

Rachel, Leigh-Ann, Jeanette – Kaos has adapted really well and is a lovey, snuggly girl, but the cats are still freaked out and, unfortunately, Ami & Mike’s daughter is, unfortunately, quite afraid of her – none of which could have been foreseen, so we’re looking for a new situation for Kaos.

We’ve had a few nibbles and leads but nothing confirmed yet, so if anyone has ideas, we’d love to hear them!