AAAUUUUUUGH!!!!! (otherwise entitled “Oy! Shibas!”)

by nycgadgetgirl on February 28, 2008 · 11 comments

in rants

Why did I not choose an easier breed to fall in love with and start a rescue for?? It’s bad enough that a majority of dogs (mixed and purebreds) that come into shelters and rescue are under-socialized and under-trained, but combine that with the Shiba Inu tendency to be dog aggressive (a lot) if they aren’t super socialized as puppies and… OY! SHIBAS!

Our need to play musical foster dogs never seems to end… it seems like someone is always trying to give us another otherwise-perfect-but-very-dog-aggressive Shiba. <sigh>

1 Kristine February 28, 2008 at 7:09 pm

Gee, don’t I know what that’s like? Did you see my entry this morning on shibainufree4all?

Hey, how is Snicks doing this time around w/Shayna gone? Is he getting used to the idea of change better?

2 Lachlan February 28, 2008 at 7:50 pm

I have a hard time believing that dog-on-dog aggression is not a problem for EVERY rescue.

That said, I understand your frustration. But I can’t think of anyone else more capable than you. Take a few breaths, maybe have a glass of wine, and try to get perspective. The road you’ve chosen isn’t easy, but I think you put way more good into the world doing what you do.

3 Janet February 28, 2008 at 11:15 pm

I agree with Lachlan!!!

4 Bonnie & Sushi February 28, 2008 at 11:22 pm

I know exactly how you feel….

5 Marianna February 29, 2008 at 5:15 am

I can’t believe people let their dogs become agressive to other dogs, the only thing you have to do is let your puppy meet other dogs frequently. When I’m walking my Shiba (5 months 🙂 ) she can’t wait to go and nuzzle the other dogs we encounter. I always ask the other dog owner if it’s ok, and then she can go play…
But hang in there, you’re doing a wonderful thing.

6 rachel March 1, 2008 at 12:57 pm

J- I feel your pain. It seems as though this is a very common problem with most primitive and prey driven breeds, and the shiba is no exception. It brings us back to the whole pet store problem and overall lack of education on most people’s part. The excuses for giving up really get to me the mst I think. Sigh. I’ve always got a shoulder to lean on when you need it…

7 bibby March 1, 2008 at 3:32 pm

One of my shiba’s’ is dog aggressive and despite socializing at the dog park and play dates AND neutering at 1 yr old a switch flipped and he will not tolerate new dogs in his dog run. I am working really hard to correct this but if he doesnt stop this behaviour we still love him. Understanding the breed is huge and our city here actually runs classes for problem pups, this has cut their pound admissions enough to continue this program. If only other cities would do this, good people like Jenna would not be overwhelmed. But sadly this does help when there is an idiot on the opposite end of the leash to the shiba

8 nycgadgetgirl March 1, 2008 at 6:43 pm

All – I hope I didn’t sound like I was looking for a pat on the back with this post. I was just venting about having to shuffle dogs around so much.

Kristine – I haven’t had time to check shibainufree4all for a couple weeks. 🙁

Marianna – Sometimes it isn’t that easy unfortunately. Snickers, for example, was a major handful as a puppy. He got in a lot of fights the first couple years and just walking him a lot would NOT have been enough to turn him into the tolerant boy he is now. It took a lot of careful socialization and management.

9 prajantr March 2, 2008 at 11:41 am

No worries – you do a lot of careful consideration to make sure the dogs in your care get the best possible chance for the future. It’s bound to be frustrating. Shiba’s also have that agression as more a part of their nature than other breeds so that particular frustration is compounded for you. It’s all good. you are doing wonderful work with the shibas and that’s what matters, you’re entitled to a bit of venting. 🙂

Also…tag! 🙂

10 bibby March 2, 2008 at 10:59 pm

jenna,
could you write a blog about how you got Snickers out of his aggressive phase. It would certainly help Bear and me, as well as plenty of others who regularly check this site.

11 alice March 31, 2008 at 11:49 pm

Being fairly new to the shiba breed, but learning fast…I am working hard on the dog agression problem…my first boy is from, dare I say it, a puppy mill and is the sweetest boy he could be, he is 10 months and I had him neutered at 5 months…our second boy is from a reputable breeder and is 5 months, he will be neutered in a few days…he is more aggressive and less friendly with other dogs and people though he has been socialized as much as Kadan. We will see how he does after surgery. He and Kadan are great pals though.

Though I am new to this breed, I grew up working with rescued wild animals and these dogs have many traits in common with wild.

Boy did I get off the subject…what I wanted to say was, I think you deserve that pat on the back whether you were looking for it or not…this is not an easy breed to undue or overcome the damage that humans cause. Hang in there,