Can You Say You Like Your Boss?

by nycgadgetgirl on May 16, 2008 · 6 comments

in Life In NYC

I can… which explains a lot about why I have been working for the same firm for five years. When I was younger, my average tenure at a job was about 18 months. That is roughly how long it takes for me to learn, master, and become bored with a job. The first place I stayed awhile was my job before this one and that was only because I was promoted through four positions in three departments AND we went through a huge merger, all of which kept my job new and interesting for six years.

My current employer is the only place I have worked for multiple years in essentially the same position. The company has grown, so my responsibilities have also – quite a lot really. That does make a big difference – I am all about learning and growing on the job – but I doubt it would be enough to keep me there all this time if my boss weren’t an all around good guy to work for.

Why do I say he’s a good boss? Well, other than being generally personable and human, he recently approved my request to take several hours off once a week to visit classrooms with Snickers as part of a humane education program. He knows I will always work the hours and do the work that needs to be done, but it is inconvenient for the firm’s only tech support to be away during business hours, so it is a sacrifice. I’m very grateful that he’s willing to support my desire to do this!

Work/life balance is important and, even though I work for a small firm that doesn’t have any official policies on flex time or community service, my boss supports those things. That carries a lot of weight when I compare my current compensation to other positions.

PS Snickers and I actually visited classrooms for the first time this morning. More on that later. 🙂

1 Jaqi (or T) May 17, 2008 at 4:18 pm

omg coooolll where?

Jaqi (or T)s last blog post..HEY MOM!!!!!

2 Rae May 17, 2008 at 8:09 pm

That is super that you have been allowed that flexibility. It also may have somehing to do with the fact that you are probably also very skilled at what you do and a very valuable asset to the company. 🙂

3 Nikkos Mom May 19, 2008 at 10:22 pm

WOW. Very nice! it’s not often that people find work places they enjoy going to but to find some place that is animal friendly!

i’m jealous and at the same time very happy for you and snick.

very uplifting to know there are companies like that out there.

i like my boss.. and he has given me some leeway when it comes to Nikko.. but the company officially doesn’t. can’t bring him to work even though i claim he is my son and should be allowed on bring your child to work day. =) they fear the shiba 500 i’m sure. or that he’ll take over. =)

4 Snite May 20, 2008 at 11:58 am

your lucky to be able to say you have a nice boss. But i bet the feelings mutual with him.

Snites last blog post..She broke up with me =(

5 Rae May 20, 2008 at 4:21 pm

I like my boss… enough to have married him 🙂 LOL… and I guess bcus I am sorta my own boss too…hee.

6 nycgadgetgirl May 24, 2008 at 11:48 pm

@Nikkos Mom – Take your dog to work day is coming up soon… maybe you could get a one day permission? The fear that he’ll take over is a valid one though; Snick DEFINITELY rules the office on Fridays. 😉